Thursday, January 8, 2015

A letter to all of the girls who feel like quitting

Hi.
I know how you are feeling, I've been in the exact same spot.
Whether you feel like quitting your job, or quitting school, or a diet plan.. Whatever you are feeling like quitting, wait.
I have a few questions for you first.

Why?
Why do you want to quit whatever it is that you're considering?
Is it because people at work are mean to you, and you don't get the recognition you deserve?
Maybe you should say something. If it is your boss that is rude or mean to you, go above them.
     I know that I feel like quitting my job sometimes when everything just gets overwhelming. The last thing that I want to do is go back after a really long day where people make it apparent that they do not like me. But honestly, I go back, day in and day out. Mainly because I love what I do. I love getting to work with people each and every day.
Is it because the work load is too hard?
Maybe you should look into a different major, or compare your current workload to the workload of that particular career field. Typically it isn't going to get any easier than the workload you have in college.
     I had the opposite problem. I am currently going to school to become a teacher, and originally I was an Elementary Ed major, but i changed it to Secondary Ed when I decided that it wasn't requiring me to think about anything in depth, I decided that working with teenagers would allow me to have a different level of intellectual communication, and I enjoyed teaching people to look deeper at a work of literature, rather than teaching them how to read simple sentences. I wanted to be challenged everyday, so the workload I have in college is one that I prepared myself for. Even when I am having an off day, and I want nothing more than to sit in my bed and watch Netflix all day, I make myself get up and go to class. I end up feeling much better afterwards because I actually accomplished something.
It it because you don't feel like it?
     Oh girl, I hear you on that one. I go to school full time, taking a minimum of 16 units, and I work part time. I also have 60 hours of observation that I have to complete in the classroom this semester, I don't even want to mention the homework..There are so many days where I would much rather eat a pizza than get up and make a healthy dinner. But, if I eat a pizza I find myself sluggish and tired the next day and it just turns into a spiral downwards. If I get up and make a healthy meal, it gives me energy to get through my entire day, and that way I can get a lot more accomplished.

Why did you start?
    I started working because I wanted to be able to pay for things for myself. I got my first job less than a month after I graduated from high school, at one of my favorite places in the world. I still have that job almost 4 years later. And while some days it seems like hell on earth, especially around the holidays, I love my job and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It has helped me to be financially independent from my parents, and it has helped me learn respect for other people and their ideas.
    On the days when I feel like quitting my job I just remember how excited I was to start it, how i was so nervous my trainer had to remind me to breathe, and how some of my best friends I met through my job.

What would quitting solve?
    If it's quitting school that you are thinking about, quitting wouldn't really solve anything. Most jobs in today's market, you need a degree to make anything more than minimum wage, or a few dollars more. And quitting school does not look good on a person's resume, it just shows that you cannot commit to anything long term. Maybe it's not the workload, maybe it is the environment that you are in. It took me moving to another state, and going to the type of school that I never saw myself at to really understand who I was and what I wanted out of my life. I recommend a change in scenery before you completely give up on school, or anything else for that matter.

Quitting is never the answer, unless you already have a strong backup plan in place, you're going to end up at a standstill. So keep your head up girly, everything will get better in time.

Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment